Flow Chemistry Intern
Adesis Inc. – a subsidiary of Universal Display Corporation (Nasdaq: OLED), a global leader in organic light emitting diodes – is a premier contract development and manufacturing organization (CDMO) accelerating our clients’ success in the biotech, pharmaceutical and specialty chemistry industries through our innovative chemistry and solutions.
Adesis Inc. encompasses almost 100,000 square feet of state-of-the-art laboratory and manufacturing space in two U.S. locations – New Castle and Wilmington, DE, centrally located in the Mid-Atlantic biotech/pharmaceutical hub.
Our business model provides clients with organic chemistry services in three areas: early-stage research, scale-up and development, and specialty manufacturing. We specialize in organic and organometallic synthesis, from milligrams to multi-kilogram quantities, and our exceptional technical team prides ourselves in our ability to solve challenging chemistry problems for our growing client base.
Adesis is an extraordinary company looking for extraordinary talent! Our mission is to accelerate our clients’ success through innovative chemistry and solutions, and we offer promising careers in an inclusive work environment aligned with our values of innovation, ownership and integrity.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The student will be trained and supervised by a chemist or engineer to perform the following tasks:
- Assist in flow reactor maintenance – including but not limited to calibrating, cleaning reactor part, test equipment for safety and conformity with specifications and diagnosing system errors based on service manuals.
- Design and construct reactors outlined in discussions with a chemist and engineer.
- Operate flow reactors and perform chemistry experiments under supervision – including preparing starting materials, carrying out the experiment, adjusting control parameters and isolating products.
- Assist in data collection and analysis of reaction results using analytical chemistry techniques to understand reactivity trends and reaction mechanisms
The student must have complete 1 year of general chemistry with lab. Ideally they would have at least 1 semester of organic chemistry with lab. The student should also have demonstrated the ability to work as part of a team during their course work. Intermediate or Advance COOP preferred.
- 1 year of general chemistry with lab
- 1 year of Material and energy balances
- 1 semester of organic chemistry
Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from managers, co-workers, and clients. Write scientific reports and synthesis procedures in order to enable other researchers. Effective presentation of information and responses to questions from managers, co-workers, and clients.
Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations. Ability to calculate charges for reactions.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions
Ability to solve problems and analyze data without supervision
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have some knowledge of Microsoft Outlook; Microsoft Explorer; Microsoft Word; Microsoft Excel.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to loud.
- Delivers Results: Takes initiatives and delivers results; Challenges self and others to create value; Takes courageous decisions and balanced risks to create value for our clients and Adesis.
- Insightful: Seeks deep understanding of stakeholders’/clients’ needs, motivations and behaviors, and translates them into insights to create value for our clients and Adesis.
- Thinks Holistically: Understands the overarching impact of one’s own actions on other areas of the business; Looks for synergies inside and outside the organization to create value for our clients and Adesis.
- Learns: Demonstrates curiosity and learns from the experience of success and failure; Proactively shares knowledge with others in order to affect continuous improvement.
- Collaborates: Develops trustful relationships with internal and external stakeholders to achieve the corporate goals and accelerate the strategy; Encourages and leverages diversity to improve outcomes.
- Champions Change: Seeks new opportunities to create value for our clients and Adesis; Supports the implementation and acceptance of change across the organization.
- Leads Others: Inspires, motivates, influences and coaches others to create value for our clients and Adesis; Creates a culture of accountability that provides space for colleagues to contribute to their fullest potential.